Friday 23 July 2010

Psychidae case(ment) moths

Here's a link to a good site on these insects. Case moth makes more sense as a name, I  don't know why we called them casement moths when I was a kid . It's clear they are not just native to Australia, but the one in Grace's picture looks very like the ones I find everywhere I go at the right time of year.
If you can get hold of an empty case to play with you'll find the moth's silk is very tough, almost like silk and elastane in texture. Quite pleasant to touch.
Psychidae is a most elegant name for this moth family, and I shall use it for them from now on.

2 comments:

grace Forrest~Maestas said...

elizabeth..i just left a loooong
comment and as i was signing off,
the electric went out...so i think it didn't go through? anyway...
thank you so much for the link to Psychidae...they MUST be related...
i will find out. but most, thank you for your INTEREST ... these
things are such miracles to come upon...
i will let you know what i learn...
oh...and the illustrations are
rich and magical...more thanks!

Elizabeth said...

Hi Grace,I was so delighted to see what I'll take a punt on, and call a saunders case moth, hanging there in your blog! They spin a truly marvellous fibre and decorate it so well, I think they are a good omen for your work.