Saturday 19 December 2009

Twelve posts to Christmas: Pudding

I didn't make an advent calendar this year and as I'm beginning to get more excited about Christmas I'm going to try and fit in 12 Christmas posts before the evening of Christmas day.






I did make a pudding. I made the fruit mince a month ago and I boiled it up today. See how well it is wrapped in brown paper and then in foil and tied up nicely with string.
The little pudding basin was my Mum's, but she only used it for every day desserts like golden syrup pudding. Her Christmas puddings were immense and when I was little I remember them being tied in pudding cloth and boiled up in the wash copper.






Pudding simmering on stove for 3 hours. There isn't much aroma from a cooking pudding, unlike the wonderful scent of Christmas cake cooking. I did all that cake and gingerbread baking last week (just gloating a little).




Pudding cooling on the table.

This pudding contains almonds, currants, raisins (from Mildura), candied angelica, cherries, pears, apricots, pineapple, grated orange peel,  grated Granny Smith apple, brown sugar, mace, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and a great deal of brandy. All of these were chopped and mixed a month ago. Today I mixed in the butter (no suet in this pudding), eggs, flour and behold - a pudding!






No comments: