Thursday 23 June 2011

The morning after the longest night of the year



The winter solstice seems like the beginning  of a new year in a way that January the first never does.  
In January the summer is still building up its heavy heat, and nothing changes much until mid March

I used to have a bonfire on the longest night and really celebrate the turn of the year, but not here in Ballarat.
But whether I celebrate it or not, this is a magical time of the year for me. I am happiest in cold weather.

I walked down to the lake while it was still dark this morning.




 

It was beautiful and very quiet. Just a few runners and walkers. I forgot to take any pictures until I was about to go home again . There was no one about by then. 






Just the reed cutter cutting rowing tracks across the water and a few swans.








Home to a hot cordial - lovely pomegranate molasses bought in Sydney Road last week.










No comments: