Sunday 3 May 2009

Books from Clunes



This weekend Clunes was full of second hand and antiquarian booksellers. I spent Sunday there fossicking through wonderful collections of books.























I only bought a few; a complete Banjo Patterson because I had to read The Geebung Polo Club and The Man from Snowy River again and vol IV of Manning Clark because I think I saw vol II in a Ballarat bookshop, and a couple of other good books, none of them more than five dollars.




I took a picture of the horse trough. In the early 1900s a good person spent a fortune building these in every Victorian town and along the roads, to ease the thirst of the horses who worked so hard. There's hardly a horse to be seen in the countryside now, but one memorial of his kindness remains here.



There were lots of other people looking for books, drinking coffee and enjoying the autumn sun.



And watching over them, with his wreaths still bright from Anzac Day, another touching memorial from last century.




I loved walking round the town as much as bookshopping.










No comments: