Friday 28 May 2010

Tapa and tea trays




The Ballarat art gallery is showing an exhibition of Tapa cloth from the Pacific.  The exhibition comes from Queensland which has some very old pieces of tapa cloth - with the permission of the relevant communities. The tapa in the exhibition comes from Fiji, Tonga, Samoa and Niugini  and I think also Vanuatu, and some is made by families living in Australia.

 A collection of the traditional tools and materials accompanied the various cloths.

I have a few treasured bits of tapa rescued from Op shops and now I know that my piece (above) comes from Fiji.
The tapa reminds me of the tea tray cloths I also find in Op shops. A shared idea of honouring a guest or occasion by covering an everyday object with a beautiful cloth.





The fragment of lace I found last week harmonises well with the tapa.


No comments: