Wednesday 19 January 2011

Estranged

I've been living in Ballarat for five years and now it's home, but occasionally I have a day when I feel odd and out of place, as I did today. I walked down to the city at mid day and saw no one else on the streets.





Suburban gothic




It's Wednesday, a working day, but the streets in the central city feel empty - people round here drive everywhere.





Is there anyone in these old buildings?





This week I've had a couple of days in inner city Melbourne, where I have spent most of my life. The streetscapes are much the same, but unlike Ballarat the streets in Fitzroy and Coburg are full of people, and several languages are spoken on the one tram.




 There are a lot of these ghostly doorways in Ballarat.





Today I feel as if I have walked through one of them.






No comments: